Saturday, April 12, 2008

TEAM HACC-A-LUGI AND TONY THE TIGER, AHH I MEANT RABBIT


With the upcoming 40K Team Time Trial next weekend, I want to give a shout out to my awesome team mates from Team HACC-A-Lugi! Steve Steele, Casey Tucker and my old team mate from Virginia, Steve Chirco. We all met at Hickam this morning do do some hard race intervals and pace line work. Tony from Team HACC Warriors showed up and knew it was going to be a heart thumping training day. After a warm up through housing we stopped at the traffic circle to line up for race simulation. On the first loop we towed Tony with us as a pace line practice. In fact he did an outstanding job as his fitness has greatly improved over the past few weeks. On the second loop we started our second interval from the circle again. This time Tony the Tiger was now Tony the rabbit! We sent him off 3 mins ahead and told him to ride as hard as he could to stay away. We lined up in order, Chirco, Steele, myself, and Tucker. BOOM! Chirco jumps the pace to 30+mph as we all 3 in tow. I was telling myself, this is really going to hurt. As we reached the Sea breeze I heaved an expelled all the caffeine I drank prior to the ride. At the turn around, Steve's SRM was popping 350+ watts on that interval.2 more to go.

We again lined up at the traffic circle and send Tony off once again. This time we backed off to about 28mph pulls and still keep avg. watts over 325 watts. We were able to catch Tony making the final turn to the tower. By now, my eyeballs are ready to pop out and I felt like the picture above. But Steve Chirco kept telling us we are doing fine and ride with your heart. One more interval to go. The last interval we see Jon Sanner and he joins us for our last interval. This time we send Tony out with 3:00 mins plus Jon Sanner. This was our last interval so we are going to make it count and hurt as much as possible. This time Steve Steele and Tucker said they were hurting too. I thought I was the only one but my team did AWESOME! We had about 2 hours of intervals, avg. over 325 watts for the practice. We planned out tactics and we are ready to have some fun! Rear discs, aero helmets, booties and front wheels are in the works for all of us. Our main goal? To have fun and give 110%!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds like you all had a great ride! Thats some srious power for a team just riding to have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, now I'm kind of glad I slept in today...YIKES, that had to be scary tough! At least Tony the Tiger will be prepared to tow the line of us slower folks!

    By the way, does anyone have a fast TT bike they can lend me for this coming weekend?

    ReplyDelete