Sunday, January 6, 2008

2 TANTALUS LOOPS AND LEGS OF STEELE










On Friday night I got a call from Steve "Legs Of" Steele. He had to drop off his daughter in town on Saturday morning to take a college exam. I decided to bypass the normal Saturday Schofield ride and go to Tantalus.
The weather looked overcast in the mountains but lately I have gotten a bad reputation on being a fair weather rider! We grabbed a coffee at Starbuck's on Ward Avenue and drove to Punchbowl. When we left it was sort of dry but the roads were wet. On the first loop I felt really great for a change. My non climbing legs decided to ride at a tempo pace. The rain started and Steve made a comment on how well I was climbing. We got to the top and rode back down on the Round Top Drive side. We arrived at the base and climbed again. But on this time Steve picked up the pace and hammered up and set a blistering pace. Not bad for an old man...









So, for those who can't believe it, I rode 2 complete loops, 1 hour 45 mins. of climbing, just shy of 3,000 feet of climbing, rode in the rain, got the bike real dirty and average close to 150 watts...

No comments:

Post a Comment