For a second consecutive day the weather was great for cycling! Several of us met up at the Hickam Gym at 0630. Dev, Jeff, Steve, and myself rolled out about 0640. While heading out to the beach, Sheri Chirco met up with us and recommended that we should do some pace line practice. We all agreed and took turns pulling and keeping the line in order. Jeff and Dev learned some helpful tips and did a great job without any issues. In fact, they impressed me! Jeff was very observant on riders positions and was taking notes mentally. We all took our share of the work as Sheri was quick to offer tips and tricks. Thanks Sheri for showing them some great pace line riding. We turned around on Lagoon Drive and headed back to the base. Under the airport viaduct I was lucky enough to make all the green lights. While pulling the line I heard someone shift to the left of me. At a quick glance Dev a (Chief Master Sgt) decided to up the anti a bit.Yes! I backed off hoping someone would chase. Of course Steve (Senior Master Sgt) goes after Dev. Yeah baby! Battle of the Sergeants! I slipped in behind Dev and counter attack bridging up. Steve made a comment about almost losing his bar he ate several mins. prior. We got back on base and everyone turned off and a great ride was had by all.
Last night Dev posted a picture of some ice cream. For 45 mins, I could only think about ice cream! I had to have some and walked over to the commissary and picked up cappuccino chocolate chunk. Most of all it's FAT FREE! Last week Steve and Chris gave me some fresh baked monkey bread and enjoyed it. Why cant I drop some pounds?
On another note, check out this video on Critical Mass. It's when cyclists show up to make a statement. Unfortunately most of these riders do not wear helmets, block traffic etc. This was held on March 28, 2008. I can honestly say no HACC riders were involved. I will let you make your own decision on this video. Please leave your comments.

No wonder cyclists get a bad name. It's non cyclists that ruin it for those who obey laws and safety of cycling. Looks like they pissed off a lot of people.
ReplyDeleteI would highly adivse HACC not attend this ride or any critical Mass ride. At the ride on friday, a Navy service member was arested at the ride, he is now up for punishment through the command.
ReplyDeleteSeveral things stood out to me. The cyclists weren't riding with respect to the other drivers that share the road (unsafe). I've read that the majority of cyclist deaths each year are due to head injuries, e.g., not wearing a helmet (again, unsafe based on the statistics). The Officer should use the same standard to investigate any type of roadway accident whether it involves cars, cyclists, or a combination of the two.
ReplyDeleteCritical ASS is simply an embarrassment to the cycling community of any city. If anything, it makes relations worse for cyclists with the population of the cities they infect.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad no HACC riders were involved in this mess. I have always been curious about these critical mass rides but I'm glad that I have heeded the advice of my fellow HACCers and stayed away.
ReplyDeleteDirty hippies- all of them. See the video below for some helpful recognition tips:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6u-rlf6ihM
The have CM here in SF as well. Never heard of an officer tackling a rider. Causing physical harm to an innocent cyclist when you are supposed to serve and protect is utterly distasteful! I hope that there was a good reason for his action that did not come across is this video as it is clearly biased.
ReplyDeleteI agree that these riders are not making their point in the most effective way but essentially they are looking to use the ways of MLK, Jr. and Ghandi to make a point. All I can say is that CM in SF is widely broadcast in advance to the point that newscasters warn citizens when it will happen so they can plan accordingly. Officers in SF actually escort the cyclists to help ensure they aren't harmed. Seems like a much better way to handle this.