Monday, April 6, 2009

MOMENTUM MULTISPORT CRITERIUM SERIES

The final race of the series was held yesterday in one of the windiest days I have raced in. I love windy conditions and wished every race was like that. We had it all, rain, sun, and winds with gust to 30mph. I have only raced 2 of the 4 races but I must say that it was awesome! I hope that someone puts on another series this year. The turn out has been unbelievable!
My plan for the race was to be a little more conservative than the last. Everyone said that I attacked alot and was jokingly called "Trouble Maker" for last race attacks. This time I felt stronger and found myself near the front again. Mike Proffitt from Pac Velo launched the first attack and I decided to chase him down. I got on his wheel and Dev was making the junction.
We mad the turn into the wind and Mike sat up, damn...

The next couple of laps was sane then I bridged up to another guy off the front. Once again he sat up into the wind and pack came together once more. Half way through the race a group of riders somehow broke away. I looked backed and notice no one was chasing and the breakaway group opened gap. I saw no Hele Broadband team riders up there so I decided to go for it. Within half a lap I made the junction and latched on. I told myself with 11 riders we could make this stick! But then the group sits up in the wind, I was thinking abut a counter attack but I just needed to recover from bridging up. No major issues except my buddy Spencer Coconour hit the expansion joint on the runway and got him a little wobbly. He hung on and glad he didn't go down.
The race stayed together for the remainder of the race. On the last lap 3 turns from the finish, some guy on a Pearl Izumi jersey goes wide and shoots right in front of me. I saw him do this several times and even Shannon from HACC asked me what the heck is that guy doing? He eventually cut me off and I let a gap open up and couldn't get back on. Overall, it's been a great race venue and would like to see more!

I got a treat afterwards, the Andrews invited me over for dinner. Marita had turkey, biscuits, salad, corn and mashed potatoes waiting! That was a great way to end the weekend, thanks Marita!

1 comment:

  1. Our race on Saturday had sustained winds of over 25mph with gusts over 40mph...fun stuff...

    ReplyDelete