Tuesday, March 4, 2008

A LITTLE SOUL SEARCHING...












About a month ago I was put on a new work schedule from 5am - 5pm (12 hour shift). It finally has taken a toll and since we had a co-worker transfer early this will be my schedule until August or so. I was put over at the Military Entrance Processing Station as a full time liaison. The schedule is non stop thus not allowing me to workout (ride my bike) until the weekend. I do have Tuesday's off which helps out a little. This week has been the week from HELL! I have never had so many personal conflicts with co-workers, applicants, and friends. This morning I needed to jump on my bike a do a little soul searching...










The sunset this morning was absolutely gorgeous. Enjoyed a cup of coffee without even checking email. I turned off my cell phone and changed into my cycling gear. My goal was to do 4 hours with some tempo riding and several explosive sprints. Jump on the bike path and headed to my old neighborhood and fond child hood memories existed. Riding on the old Waipahu Street took me back when the days were slower, friendlier, and most of all, where people looked out for one another. I eventually took old Farrington Road to the old Hono'uliuli store, to Renton Road through Historic Ewa Plantation.










I arrived at White Plains to be greeted by two cycling buddies and agreed to ride with me. We rode out to the Coast Guard Air Station with almost no cars on the road. We decided to do the State Road Race course and this was the time to get the lungs breathing. Several attacks and riders off the front these 4 loops would be. It felt really great and this is what I needed. The amazing thing is I saw NO CARS on the course which was awesome! After the intense efforts we said goodbye to Craig as he headed back to Ewa Beach. I wanted to go through Historic Ewa Town. When I was a little kid, we would spend weekends here hanging out at my Uncles place. While us kids got in trouble playing, the adults grilled and drank beer. It was a great time in life. Playing barefoot on the dirt roads.
Everyone we passed in Ewa waved and said hello! This was a real big change from the week of conflicts. Even cars stop to let me across intersections. I started to think that this is what old Hawaii once was. Everyone smiling, waving hello and courteous to one another. As I passed the mural of Ewa Sugar Company one thing I did notice. There was no graffiti on this mural. That's how much pride and respect this community has. Ended up just under 4 hours of some great quality riding. It was well worth it and I needed a day of this. I guess we all should be grateful for the things we used to have

No comments:

Post a Comment