Sunday, July 13, 2008

HAWAII STATE CRITERIUM CHAMPIONSHIPS - EXPLODING HEART?















Hammering it out with my buddy Steve Steele off the front

Today was the last State Championship race for the season! The State Criterium were held at Kalealoa aka Barbers Point. It was a pretty big field as they grouped Cat 4,5's, Women, and Juniors all in the same group. My goal was to stay in the top 10 positions or near the front throughout the race. The race started with the first lap pretty sane so the group could
get a feel for the course. The second lap, things heated up quite a bit. Casey Tucker was going to offer me some assistance from the wind but flatted out several laps into the race. I did launch an attack which got me off the front but it never stuck. The group did break and we were down to about 15 riders or so with 4 HACCer's in the lead group.

I rode the newly built Specialized Carbon Roubaix and it was amazing! It handle great and accelerated when needed to keep within the lead group. I normally don't attach my data but after numerous requests, here's what my 42 year old body did today... OUCH! The season is winding down and today I was able to secure a 3rd place Bronze Medal. 2008 season, 2 Gold and 1 Bronze. Not to shabby for an old guy huh?




1 comment:

  1. Ben, not too bad at all considering the course, wicked heart rate.

    ReplyDelete