Monday, March 16, 2009

MOMENTUM CRIT - ANOTHER TIRE ISSUE - NEW SHOES X 2This weekend Dev convinced me to do the Momentum Crit Series at Kaneohe Marine Corp Air Station. After 3 weeks of tire issues I was hoping for a mechanical free race. About 10 mins into the race I felt really great for a change. I launched several attacks to see how the legs would feel. 15 mins into the race, as I was coming out of turn 2, POP! I said what the hell, my front tube exploded. Coming out of the turn my tire came off the wheel. I was lucky that I kept the bike upright and took it towards the grass hoping no one would run me over.

I ran across the field to the start finish where the wheel pit was located. I didn't have a wheel there but Steve Chirco and Tony Lang ran up with a front wheel. They swapped me out within seconds and I was able to get a free lap. I jumped back into the field and recovered for one lap. There were several attacks and I was able to respond to them. I launched 3 more attacks but no one really wanted to split the field. On the last lap I launched one last attack which dragged Mike Proffitt and Casey Tucker. Casey couldn't come around and give me some rest.

The field was big and there were about 20 guys going for a bunch sprint. After seeing several crossing of the wheels during the race Mike Fujita pulled off as well as Dev. I used this race to see were my fitness stands, I was very happy. For the last 2 weeks, I have been searching all the shops for shoes. No joy until Jeff called me today from Oklahoma. He was at a shop which had the Shimano 132 shoe I wanted.

Jeff found these shoes at a bike shop in Okalahoma City!

The bike shop gave him a discount and picked them up for me. Thanks Jeff! When I got home, I was surfing the net and found that Nashbar were blowing out some shoes for $49.99! I decided to get a spare pair! It has a palstic composite sole but what the heck for that price it makes a great second or third or fourth pair of shoes! Cool thing about it, it matches my new Hele Broadband Kit which should arrive in 2 weeks. This weekend is the Team Time Trial and hoping to finalize a Cambio Team. 4 weeks of tire failure should come to the end... Keeping fingers crossed!


Nashbar had these shoes for 50% off! I need a spare set! What the hell...


No comments:

Post a Comment