This past Sunday was the Hawaii State Team Time Trial Championships. 1 day prior to the event I was still without a complete four man team. Dev and I planned to just ride to Barbers Point if we didn't race. Saturday afternoon I talked with my Hele-Cambio team mate Noel Coagas. We decided to throw together a team with Tino Espiritu, Dev Andrews and myself. Sunday morning came early and I picked up Dev at 0500 and headed to the other side of the island. We arrived in plenty of time to relax and help Hele-Cambio set up for the event. My team hadn't even practiced together but we were determined to have fun and support the event. We started conservative and the wind was howling! Dev and I both has a Zipp 1080 front and I was getting blown around like a flag in the wind! My team mate Ed K mentioned that a Zipp 1080 maybe to extreme for Hawaii race conditions.We made it to the turnaround and now we were faced with a brutal headwind. I jumped out front and did my fair share of pulling. At one point Dev fell off the pace so I fell back and pulled him back to the team. Overall we had a great race and finished with a Silver Medal! Thanks to my team for hosting a great event and to our Hele - Cambio 4 Team for bringing home the Silver!
Today our new 2009 Hele - Cambio Team colors arrived one week earlier but one day late for the Team Time Trial. Good news is that 2 races are scheduled on Sunday. Tantalus uphill TT and the Momentum Criterium Race #4 in the afternoon. Thanks to Ed K. for design!
Pictures by Dev Andrews
Found the new Giro Ionos Garmin Chipolte Edition matches nicely with out new team kit!
On another note, the Momentum Criterium Series has been a great series! Last race I suffered a flat 15 mins into the race. I did receive a free wheel lap with the help of Steve Chirco and Tony Lang wheel change. During the change a race reporter shot some pictures and wanted to do an interview. I calmly declined and responded with "I apologize but I am in a middle of a race"! I launched several attacks to mix it up and have some fun! And that's why I race, having fun and enjoying a healthy lifestyle! After the race, the reporter found me and did a short interview.
You can read about the race here http://www.mcbh.usmc.mil/news/Mar20B9.pdf


No comments:
Post a Comment